Jury of International Experts and Practitioners to Judge Competition at Schindler Global Award 2019
Schindler India a 100% owned subsidiary of Schindler Group will be hosting the prestigious ‘The Schindler Global Award’ on 10th May 2019.
The Schindler Global Award (SGA) is a one-of-a-kind urban design competition that encourages students to put their skills to the test and participate in the making of liveable and sustainable urban environments – with mobility in mind.
With over 100’000 US$ in prizes and a jury of international experts and practitioners, The Schindler Global Award gives the students of today a chance to contribute to the cities of tomorrow. The competition is open to final-year bachelors and all master’s degree students of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design and planning, from degree-granting educational institutions worldwide.
The list of jury members includes :-
– Mr. Peter Beard Landscape Architect; Visiting Professor at Politecnico di Milano, Italy; Principal of LANDROOM, Domodossola, Italy
– Prof. Dr. Stephen Cairns Architect, Program Director of the Future Cities Laboratory in Singapore
– Ms. Judit Carrera Political Scientist; Director of the European Prize for Urban Public Space at the Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, Spain
– Prof. Momoyo Kaijima Architect; Professor of Architecture at ETH Zürich, Switzerland; Principal and Co-founder of Atelier Bow-Wow, Tokyo, Japan
– Mr. Romi Khosla Architect and Urban Planner; Founder of Romi Khosla Design Studio, New Delhi, India
– Prof. Rahul Mehrotra Architect; Urban Planner and Designer, Professor of Urban Design and Planning at Harvard University, Boston, USA; Founder and Principal of RMA Architects, Mumbai, India
– Prof. Jagan Shah Architect; Urban Designer and Architectural Historian & Theorist; Director of the National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi, India; founding member of the Modern Asian Architecture Network
– Mr. Dirk Sijmons Landscape Architect; Co-founder of H+N+S Landscape Architects, Amersfoort, Netherlands
– Dr. Shipra Narang Suri Urban Planner; Coordinator of UN-Habitat Urban Planning and Design Branch, Nairobi, Kenya
– Prof. ir. Nathalie de Vries Architect and Urbanist; Professor for Architecture at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, Germany; Director and Co-founder of MVRDV, Rotterdam, Netherlands
– Mr. Uday Kulkarni and Mr. Reza Kabul will be representing Schindler India as part of the Jury.
The 2018/19 competition is based in Mumbai, India. As the second largest city in the world, Mumbai presents many challenges, offering participating students a chance to engage with spatial, social and strategic topics. The megacity, Mumbai is also a benchmark for South Asia and beyond. It requires integrated and sustainable urban systems that make the benefits of the city accessible to all its inhabitants. How it approaches continuing growth and manages development processes is relevant at every scale, from neighbourhood to national and global.
The Schindler Global Award 2018/19 is committed to presenting a diverse range of geographic, cultural and urban contexts to help prepare students for the increasingly globalized nature of design thinking and practice. Students will be encouraged to come up with designs that respond to fundamental questions about life in contemporary cities, from living conditions to environmental balance, and from infrastructure to public space.
The Schindler Global Award 2018/2019 is held under the leadership of the Schindler Group, again in collaboration with the ETH Zurich, Chair of Architecture and Urban Design, Professor Kees Christiaanse. Prof. Christiaanse will act as SGA Co-Chair together with Prof. Peter Staub, University of Liechtenstein.