SBI General Empowers Girl Students With Sanitation Facilities in Schools
SBI General Insurance has embarked on a novel initiative of empowering young girl students in villages by building sanitation facilities in the school’s of Wada and Chimur talukas of Maharashtra.
As part of their CSR initiative, SBI General Insurance will be building 15 such facilities in the schools of these 2 regions.
Shefali Khalsa, Head – Brand & Corporate Communication, SBI General Insurance said, “At SBIG, we follow a defined CSR strategy which focuses on various areas and segments. One of the key focus areas is education for the underprivileged. Contributing to this area aiming at girl students’ education, hygiene and wellbeing, we had initiated this project. In this region, what really stood out to us was the very high school drop-out rates of adolescent girls from agricultural and tribal communities. One of the main reasons for drop-out was lack of sanitation facilities at Zilla Parishad Schools”.
She added, “We are hopeful that our contribution and this CSR initiative will support some bit of drop-outs and will enable girl students to continue their education.”
SBI General Insurance, one of the leading General Insurance companies in India, has enabled building 15 sanitation facilities for girl students in Wada and Chimur talukas in Palghar district of Maharashtra, thereby impacting lives of thousands of girl students.
- Under the CSR project, SBI General has funded the construction of 15‘safe space’ restrooms for girls around schools in rural districts of Maharashtra.
- These restrooms along with the 5 built last year will be used by over 10,000 girls in the coming five years.
- This will have a two-fold impact: not only will it create a sense of ownership and qualitative change in their hygiene habits, but also increase the attendance of girls at the schools thereby enabling them to complete their education.
- In addition to this, special workshops on hygiene and sanitation were also conducted for the girls.
Ensuring Safety at School
- Going forward, the goal for SBI General and Learning Space Foundation is to ensure that every school in rural Maharashtra has a safe space restroom.
- SBI General Insurance has partnered with Palghar based NGO, Learning Space Foundation (LSF) for this project.
- Besides giving access to sanitation facilities, through partnership, the girl students were also trained and encouraged to embrace menstrual hygiene practices.