ShortsTV brings new segment ‘Desi Tadka’ enhancing regional catalogue
Indians favour regional content, the language they can relate with and it is no wonder as India as a country has over 1600 dialects and 22 government recognized languages. Content consumption has seen a shift to the regional languages in a big way, with increased Internet reach. And as a result, the 24/7 linear channel dedicated to short films, ShortsTV introduces a new segment ‘Desi Tadka’ showcasing English subtitles in the best regional language short films. The global platform will witness stories from Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Telangana, Kerala, Maharashtra, Karnataka, West Bengal and many more.
Commenting on the newly launched segment, Carter Pilcher, ShortsTV Founder, and CEO said, “At ShortsTV, we understand the significance of vernacular communication as we reach out to a large, untapped and digitally literate audience. These are the consumers who enjoy short films and would look forward to films from their own native regions and languages. As we announce, Desi Tadka, we aim to create the perfect blend of easy-to-understand & quality entertainment that is effortlessly accessible to our millions of subscribers.”
The editor will pick out one language every month from the catalogue of 1000+ regional films and feature the best short film in that language. So, to begin with, ‘Desi Tadka’ will bring Tamil short films in January, Marathi short films in February, followed by Telugu short films in March. These are the few movies scheduled each month:
- Kalaivu- Kalaivuis a short film about 2 people and their unlikely meeting. It features Lakshmi Priyaa Chandramouli and Harish Uthaman and is directed by Stanzin Raghu.
- Dreams- Dreams is the winner of Tamil Nadu Film Festival and is internationally acclaimed. It revolves around an invitation for Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam by a paperboy for his school’s annual day. The invitation gets accepted as well. The rest is what can be seen in the film. The film is directed by Athithya Kanagarajan.
- Kevada- This film walks you through a sweet relationship between a young boy and his grandmother where she starts reminiscing about things long in the past. Directed by Ameya Beknalkar, this film was a Dadasaheb Phalke Awards Nominee and features Jyoti Subhash and Aroh Welankar.
- Santulan- Inspired by a lesson from the school, Santulan is the story of how 7-year-old Sonya who brings a strong socio-economic perspective for mankind’s attention. It is the winner of Nashik Film Festival.
- Maithili- This film is a thrilling love story with confusion and a lot of drama starring actors Surya Bharat Chandra and Sai Swetha.
- Penne- This heart-warming story of the first love that holds a special place in our heart is directed by Sameer and features Hasvanth Vanga and Gouthami Jakka.
ShortsTV is available on Tata Sky ShortsTV, Airtel ShortsTV, ShortsTV Active on DishTV & d2h. It is also available on Airtel Xstream App